The higher David lifts The Name, the higher God lifts David’s fame.
2 Samuel 7:1-3
1 After the king was settled in his palace and the LORD had given him rest from all his enemies around him, 2 he said to Nathan the prophet, “Here I am, living in a house of cedar, while the ark of God remains in a tent.” 3 Nathan replied to the king, “Whatever you have in mind, go ahead and do it, for the LORD is with you.”
I. Wrestling With Divine Restlessness
A. Here I Am
B. Can you believe it?
C. We made it through to other side, and lived to tell about it
II. We Must Compete Against Complacency
A. Settled in the palace yet still pushing
B. Content But Not Satisfied
C. Something Inside Of Me Is Saying There Is More To Be Done
III. We Must Contend With Comfort Cravings
A. It’s not fair
1. Gratitude Grasps For Reciprocation For A Gift We Can Never Repay
2. Blessed To Bless The Lord
3. Blessed To Help Build His House
4. David’s mind was God’s heart
2 Samuel 7:8-9
8 “Now then, tell my servant David, ‘This is what the LORD Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. 9 I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men on earth.
IV. We Must Calibrate Our Character
A. We need a standard to assess and adjust our aim
B. David says, “Here I am”
C. God says, “Yes, And… Look where we STARTED”
1. Look how far you have come
D. There must be connection between cause and kingdom
1. It’s amazing how the precision of the proportion directly correlates to David’s priorities
2. Between our fame and his name
3. It seems like the higher David lifts The Name.. The Higher God lifts David’s Fame
E. How is your marriage promoting his name?
1. In a fight, stop and ask,, “how are lifting up his name right now?”
2. It will get slightly worse, but then get better
3. Otherwise, all we have is my way versus your way. We have a winner and a loser.
4. With His Name, We All Win
2 Samuel 7:18,21-22a
18 Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said:
“Who am I, Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?
21 For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made it known to your servant. 22a “How great you are, Sovereign LORD! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you
V. There Is No One Like You, And There Is No God But You
A. God is not an accessory, he is an abolute