It is not position of the mountain, it is the precision of the message.
13 Jesus said, “Everyone who drinks from this water will get thirsty again. 14 But whoever drinks from the water that I will give him will never get thirsty again—ever! In fact, the water I will give him will become a well of water springing up within him for eternal life.” 15 “Sir,” the woman said to Him, “give me this water so I won’t get thirsty and come here to draw water.”
- She Is Trying To Use Natural Means To Satisfy A Supernatural Desire
- She Is Trying To Go Outside In
- God Is Trying To Go Inside Out
- It Just Doesn’t Work
- Replacing God with any other object just doesn’t work
- It will break your marriage
- It will break your children
- It will break your finances
- It will break you
- Is It Possible Our Physical Struggles Reveal Our Spiritual Needs?
- Tired, Stressed, Depressed
- Thirsty, Hungry, Sick & Dying
- What is our solution to the struggle in our souls?
16 “Go call your husband,” He told her, “and come back here.” 17 “I don’t have a husband,” she answered. “You have correctly said, ‘I don’t have a husband,’” Jesus said. 18 “For you’ve had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true.”
- The Story We Tell God
- Do we ever rephrase our story to avoid getting real with God?
- We know the exact verbiage that avoids authenticity
- Skeletons Are Scary
- What was in your closet?
- What are you trying to hide from God?
- Our story starts when half-truths stop
19 “Sir,” the woman replied, “I see that You are a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, yet you Jews say that the place to worship is in Jerusalem.”
- Deflection Without Reflection
- “Let’s not talk about me”
- Changing the subject
- Getting emotional
- Raising a counterargument without answer the original question
21 Jesus told her, “Believe Me, woman, an hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know. We worship what we do know, because salvation is from the Jews. 23 But an hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth. Yes, the Father wants such people to worship Him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” 25 The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will explain everything to us.” 26 “I am He,” Jesus told her, “the One speaking to you.”
- IV. Religious People Want A Debate, God Wants A Decision
- She Is Thinking About The Walk To The Well, God Is Thinking Fate Of Her Faith
- It’s Not About The Well, It’s About Worship
- It’s Not About The Where, It About The Way
- Jesus is not driving her to guilt by revealing her past, He is guiding her to grace by making her aware of her options
- Jesus knew here story, her struggles, her failures, her feelings…AND LOVED HER ANYWAY
- The transcendent transformative truth of God’s redemption is standing right in front of you
- Jesus has answered all the questions, now you must choose
- “We must move from knowledge to knowing… knowledge of a god, to knowing the One True God”