Jesus had the power to escape but the purpose to stay.
47 While He was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, suddenly arrived. A large mob, with swords and clubs, was with him from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48 His betrayer had given them a sign: “The One I kiss, He’s the One; arrest Him!” 49 So he went right up to Jesus and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. 50 “Friend,” Jesus asked him, “why have you come?” Then they came up, took hold of Jesus, and arrested Him. 51 At that moment one of those with Jesus reached out his hand and drew his sword. He struck the high priest’s slave and cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus told him, “Put your sword back in its place because all who take up a sword will perish by a sword. 53 Or do you think that I cannot call on My Father, and He will provide Me at once with more than 12 legions of angels? 54 How, then, would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen this way?”
- Bad Timing Betrays Your Perspective
- Have you ever felt like you failed more than you prevailed with following God?
- If you are not careful, you will presume you know better than God
- Man often believes he has absolute authority
- This is inevitably demonstrated in his desire to dominate others
- This desire originates in sinful pride of self-worship and self-reliance
- Presumption is the function of not knowing or not caring about who God is what His purpose is
- Mount Of Transfiguration – Matt 17
- On The Water – Matt 14
- On The Day Of The Betrayal – Matt 26
- At The Trial
2 Kings 19:35
35 That night the angel of the LORD went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning—there were all the dead bodies!
- He Could Have, But He Didn’t
- 12 legions, legion = at least 6000 roman soldiers. This would total at least 72000 angels
- 2 Kings Reveals the power of 1 angel = 185000 dead in one night
- The population of the earth was about 300 million
- The population of this mob was likely less than 100
- Jesus only needed 1% of the power of one angel to obliterate his opposition
- With 12 legions he could have wiped out the earth 44 times over
- Jesus had the power to escape but the purpose to stay
and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.
- We Receive As A Result Of His Obedience
- Something To Say
- Something To Share Acts 3