Forgiveness should be the goal. Is forgiveness your goal?
2 Corinthians 2:6-7, 10-11
6 The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient. 7 Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.
10 Anyone you forgive, I also forgive…
11 in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes
- Forgiveness Should Be The Goal…Is Forgiveness Your Goal
- Some people like to fight
- Some people like to rage out
- Some people like to hold a grudge
- Some people like to be critical
- What are you aiming at?
- How are your next words going achieve the goal?
- Some are overwhelmed by sorrow because of their sin and the consequences thereof, we must seek to correct and redeem
- That Satan Might Not Outwit Us
- Paul indicates that lingering unresolved conflict could be used to divide the church
- The Pieces Are In Play
- A church member had a sin that had gotten out of control to the point it was impacting the message of the church
- A church has been divided over personalities
- The people in power could be tempted to overreach or over punish
- The goal of the enemy: to steal, kill and destroy
- The tools of the enemy center around deception/lies
- Stop And Take A Step Back From The Board
- Are you aware of the greater game is being played?
- Forgiving repentant believers is big part of redemption
- Escape room illustration – it took two of us to complete the circuit
2 Corinthians 3:1-2
1 Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some do, letters of recommendation to you, or from you? 2 You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all.
- DTR – Define The Relationship
- Four times in 3 chapters Paul feels the need to defend his motives
- This gives us some insight to church life
- Disagreements Are Common
- Misjudging Motives Is Ageless
- Paul is obviously eluding to tension in the relationship
- We Must Have Resolve To Reach Redemption
- People resist redemption
- He wants to be clear over and over that he and his team are not trying to lift themselves up
- He also wants to be clear that they shouldn’t need a letter of recommendation
- Your Life Change Is The Letter Of Recommendation