They believed Jesus could heal her when she was sick, but not raise her when she was dead.
- The Waiting Game
- I don’t like to wait
- The time between our request and the product’s arrival
- I see others “creepers” at the stop light
- Sometimes I see people snatch things from others because they are doing it to slow
- Some of you like to check you shipping status 10 times a day
- How do we handle waiting on God to answer?
- I don’t like to wait
21 When Jesus had again crossed over by boat to the other side of the lake, a large crowd gathered around him while he was by the lake. 22 Then one of the synagogue leaders, named Jairus, came, and when he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet. 23 He pleaded earnestly with him, “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.” 24a So Jesus went with him.
- What Does Desperation Make Us Do?
- Desperation will make you bow, “He fell at his feet”
- Desperation will make you beg, “He pleaded with him earnestly”
- Desperation can distill your desires, “My little daughter is dying”
- Distill – (take out the extra or the impurities, reduce, simplify)
- It’s not about the cars, the career or the cost anymore
- Desperation requested God to show up – “Please Come”
- I need your presence, or I don’t have a prayer
- Desperation Was Asks Jesus To Put His Hands On A Hopeless Situation
- Death was imminent, yet this man believed Jesus could heal and give life
35 While Jesus was still speaking, some people came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue leader. “Your daughter is dead,” they said. “Why bother the teacher anymore?” 36 Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”
- They Didn’t Want To Bother Him, Because They Thought It Was Beyond Him
- Can you imagine?
- We all have some faith fables where we restrain God’s ability according to what we think is possible
- Jairus believed he could heal, but death was beyond the ability of Jesus
- I think we often constrain the scope/size/vision of our ask because our belief isn’t big enough
- Just Believe In The Betweens
- There is a space between asking and God arriving
- We must fill the between moments with belief
- Waiting on the right person to marry
- Waiting on the second marriage instead of reacting out of loneliness
- Waiting on the funding so that you can fulfill your vision
- Waiting on your child to return from the rebellious ways
37 He did not let anyone follow him except Peter, James and John the brother of James.38 When they came to the home of the synagogue leader, Jesus saw a commotion, with people crying and wailing loudly. 39 He went in and said to them, “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” 40 But they laughed at him. After he put them all out, he took the child’s father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was. 41 He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum!” (which means “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”). 42 Immediately the girl stood up and began to walk around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished.
- Dead Is Not Done When Jesus Steps Into The House
- He Can Raise It
- He’s Not Done
- Jesus hit them that killer James Harden crossover stepback (while the opponent falls to the floor) type of line…“Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.”
- It may appear done
- It probably should be done
- By any reasonable standard or tradition it would be done
- But tradition doesn’t trump God’s word
- Even death must obey him
- He’s Not Done With You
- But we need the desperation to bow, beg
- We need to confess, without his presence… I don’t have prayer!
- We need Jesus to speak into our situation
- Feed What I Raised From The Ashes
- Feed what saved
- Feed what healed